Thursday, February 23, 2012

Violence Can Be Justified

My response to this question is actually pretty lame because I don’t know how I feel about using violence as an act of vengeance. Despite the fact that my parents raised me to believe that “an eye for an eye” is not the answer, however as my exposure to the world increases I am starting to learn that this is not a simplistic black and white phrase. In my opinion using violence is circumstantial and only sometimes justified. In Half The Sky I absolutely sympathise with the protagonist Usha. Half The Sky describes the town of Kasturba Naga where female inhabitants constantly fear that they will fall victim to gang abuse and rape. Unfortunately for the women there is no established justice system that provides the females a sense security and protection. So, when Usha resulted to violence to suppress her oppressor I had no problem with disregarding my traditional beliefs and fully supporting the murder of her tormentor.

1 comment:

  1. I agree I feel that violence should not be used to justified a problem. But in cases where their is no other way but violence I can understand the women and their reasons for using violence to get out of situation that had no end unless they eliminated their tormentor. It is a shame that there is no system for these women to run to that will bring justice to them. But at that same time I feel like the anger should be taken out towards the justice system to change it instead of giving the community the impression that violence is good.

    ReplyDelete