Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Human Trafficking and the Polaris Project

After I read chapter 2 in Half the Sky, I wondered what
steps Americans were taking to stop the problem of human trafficking here in
the U.S. As I was researching, I came upon the Polaris Project website. I
looked through their website, learning about what they do to prevent further
human trafficking and slavery, and it gave me the firm belief that this group is
truly on the right path to stopping human trafficking. Their mission statement
is “Polaris Project is
committed to combating human trafficking and modern-day slavery, and to
strengthening the anti-trafficking movement through a comprehensive approach”
(Polarisproject.com). They are the leading organization in combating human trafficking
and modern day slavery, and that have been doing so since 2002.
When I went to the website, I immediately
clicked on the section labelled “What We Do,” and saw that they not only
advocate for laws that will make human trafficking illegal, but they also go
out into the community in order to educate and raise awareness. They also have
a 24-hour human trafficking hotline that anyone can call to “report a tip,
connect with local anti-trafficking services, or request general information or
training”. I believe that the Polaris Project will continue fighting human
trafficking and slavery, and hope that one day they are successful in
eliminating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment