Thursday, February 23, 2012

Vengeance is in The Eye of The Beholder

In the short story the Hunt Mary committed murder. After Tehsildar attempted to rape Mary,she falsely seduced Tehsildar and stabbed him to death and threw him in the ravine. The question of rather this murder was justified is open ended. I believe that it was not justified for the simple fact that i believe that violence should not be resolved with violence. Yet instill if i was in her place I dont know if i would have those same feelings especially if there was no justice system to bring justice to my tormentor. In the interview Mahasweta Devi believes "as far as the tribals or the oppressed are concerned, violence is justified. When the system fails in justice violence is justified.(ii)" I agree with Devi when there is no way sometimes violence is needed and justified. Yet in my own situation with violence when my sister was attacked and I decided to use violence could have ended even worse then what it was before. I could have started a gang war on my family and the gang probably still continued to attack my sister or other loved ones. Do i consider this a coward move to go to the system versus taking matters into your own hands NO. Sometimes Vengeance is not the way and sometimes killing someone makes you just a low as your tormentor. Even though I feel like i am on the fence about this situation I do believe Vengeance is in the eye of the beholder for some they may feel they were completely justified and those looking in may say they were wrong. In cases like those in Half the Sky i do believe violence is the only solution because their justice system has failed them completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment