Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Women leaders

My mom’s friend, Michele Jones in 2007 was one of the highest ranked African-American women in the Army. She was a Command Sergeant Major (CSM). My mother and Michele entered the Army at the same time but my mother decided to leave the Army and settle down. Michele and my mom were both ranked E-6’s, just three ranks below a CSM. While my mother was managing her new life outside the army and a family, Michele was climbing the ladder of success. My mom doesn’t particularly regret quitting the Army but I know if she stayed in the Army my home life would be totally different. I would’ve either barely saw my mom or I would’ve been moving from different states and countries. My mother decided that she wanted a family life and Michele chose success in her career.

Not every woman wants the chance to take leadership roles in the workplace. Each woman has a different dream, therefore will have a different priority in life. When a woman’s priority is to start a family, she usually has to sacrifice her job. Women who want to gain a leadership role in her career she has to give up a lot of time. If women weren’t faced with these sacrifices, I think more women will be present in leadership roles, but that seems nearly impossible to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment