Monday, March 12, 2012

...Do It Like A Dude

I often gripe about my minimum wage job at Dave's Cosmic Subs. For instance, were you aware that packaged salami smells like baby diapers? One day I was complaining, yet again, about how my boss had recently given a fellow employee a raise. While yes, the employee works full time (40 hours a week) and has a more complicated job than I do and is much older, I complained anyways. When I slipped in that the employee was a "he", my cousin and aunt automatically decided that it was obvious that he made more money than me because of his gender.
Though this is a specific situation, it makes me question women's actual position in leadership. Could it be possible that this whole time women have spent so much time complaining that they haven't actually taken the time to prove their point?
While there are thousands of papers about the progress of women, almost none of the owmen who are writing such articles are at the top of their fields. Additionally, most women have different priorities. If you look at women and politics, there were almost no laws concerning marriage, children, or education until women began to have a say in politics. Women have stereotypically had a larger emphasis on things as such than men have, which can be a good and a bad thing. I think it is reasonable to ask women to work to prove that their stereotypes are untrue, as all stereotypes must be proven wrong before they can be eliminated. At the same time, men have shorter paternity leaves and often have to fight more to get time off to spend time with their families. There are stereotypes on boths sides of the equation, whcih is why I think that women should stop talking about it and start proving it. This is a true example of how actions speak louder than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment