Monday, March 12, 2012

Do It Like a Brother...

When I think about gender and leadership, I think about the advice that my mother gives me, but not my older brother. She always tells me when going for a promotion, or a leadership position, I should not be surprised if I have to “apply” or inquire three times; the first time to show interest, the second time to show that I’m serious, and the third time to actually be accepted or denied. My mother’s advice has been crafted and refined from years in the medical field, fighting for promotions, and more importantly time off. Time off is just about the most precious commodity in medicine. It can be used to bargain with co-workers or exert power in the work place. If a physician who takes care of a practice and a half worth of patients is able to take time off, they are high up on the totem pole. Likewise, since only so many doctors can be out of the office at a time, time off can be used as an ace up the sleeve when trying to make headway; work some holidays, allowing other physicians to take time off, you’ve just got a new bargaining chip in getting a raise. But, in my mother’s experience, men in the office around her have been able to use these skills to make progress in their careers faster than their female colleges, simply because the women have to peruse their wants and needs more frequently, and with more intensity.

What is about American culture that makes it necessary for women to take the extra step of showing a serious interest in a position? Why is serious interest not implied, as it is with men, by simply inquiring or applying for a new job, a new position, a raise, or really anything? While I guess this problem could relate to the idea that once women have children they back down from moving forward or progressing in the work field, I think the true problem runs deeper. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but something about these types of situations strikes me as old fashioned sexism; that children or no children, women simply should not be taken seriously in the work place or as part of the work force. Sadly, I think the only way to correct this problem is for women to follow advice like my mother’s, and continue to show interest, and not give up, until maybe one day women will only need to inquire once.


If you were wondering about the title of my post, and the title of Aubrey's post, here is our inspiration. Lightening the mood of GCP...

Katalyst / Hannah Wintrode Choreography

No comments:

Post a Comment