Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Quotas=Good

Last week in class we talked about the quota for having women on a company’s board in Europe (Rebecca’s current event). For those that don't remember, the quota would force companies to have 30% of their board be women by 2015. If they didn't meet the requirements by 2015, they would have to pay a hefty fine. At first, I didn’t think it was a good idea because I thought companies would be forced to put women into positions that they might not be qualified for. However, I wasn’t really educated on the subject. As we talked about it more, the point was made that there in fact are plenty of women that were qualified for these positions, but they are being overlooked. Now that I am more educated on the subject, I believe the quota is fantastic idea. It’s a step forward for equality in the workplace, and will force companies to not discriminate based on gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment