Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Feminine

According to the free Merriam-Webster Dictionary, feminine can be defined as a characteristic of or appropriate or unique to women. The examples included are feminine beauty and a feminine perspective. However, other sources are not so straight forward. On Brainy Quote, they are not quite so forgiving, going as far to describe the "bad" qualities such as weak, nerveless, and timid.
While I think that both of these definitions are not necessarily wrong, I do not support such a construct. The point of femininity is to define women, to teach them how to be, regardless of what they want. I think that the term feminine is an outdated term that serves no actual purpose to modern society. Additionally, while I appreciate the candidness and straightforwardness of Brainy Quote, I do not believe that it should be something encouraged nowadays. Similar to our points of view, we must make our everyday language progressive to the times, especially considering the impact of gender labels. As of Y2K, feminine has become a dirty word, something that is spoken out of hate as opposed to a compliment that it was developed as. While once girls strived to be described as feminine, it has now become a word synonymous exclusively with “weak” or “dependent”, providing a negative image to both genders. I think that our generation either has to redefine the term again to simply mean a characteristic, or cease using the term whatsoever.

1 comment:

  1. Though I agree that sometimes "feminine" has a negative connotation, I do not think that the term should be eradicated altogether in modern society. As a female, I take pride in my femininity, and I often associate femininity with a strength in the character of a female.

    I support equality for all sexes, of course, but I don't think that means that as a society we must suppress all the sexes into a completely androgynous entity.

    For example, when I dress nicely I am always in a better mood, and wearing heels definitely boosts my confidence (because of the increased height? I'm not sure why).

    I am proud of my femininity. And I do not see that as a weakness that should be suppressed, but a strength that should be embraced.

    ReplyDelete